Monday 2 September 2013

Olympus Has Fallen - A Quickie Review


Olympus Has Fallen has a mighty cast, including of Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Angela Bassett.

 

It’s also a formulaic action thriller which brings nothing new to the genre, but is still a good blast.  You have the shamed ex-security guard, a foreign intrusion (of the White House), and the old mate-cum-traitor.  The plot, in various forms, has been mixed together hundreds of times in the past.

 

Still, I enjoyed it.  It’s a film where – to be honest – the fact that you’ve seen it so many times previously (you’ve taken down the baddies in the darkened corridors and managed to get messages out and been injured but soldiered on) doesn’t matter.  It’s an action flick.  It’s Bruce Willis and Denzel and a multitude of others all rolled into one.  Good guy against bad guys.  Evil takes a bashing and our hero saves the day.

 

The thing about these sort of films is you know how it will end, and you know pretty much how it will get there, but that’s fine.  You want to come out with a smile at the end, knowing all’s well and our hero won – as (usually) he is bound to do.

 

And I did.  I smiled at the end.  I didn’t feel amazed, but I didn’t feel I’d wasted my time watching it.  I was asked today if I thought it was worth seeing.  I do.  Don’t expect too much and you won’t be disappointed.


1 comment: