Friday 25 April 2014

Starred Down!


This blog post was originally going to be a rant, but I’ve changed my mind today.  The rant is now hanging in the air, like the blue smoke of a cigarette, waiting to descend and choke someone.

It can linger a little longer.

Instead, we can go for something a touch lighter.  A review, and then maybe something extra if I have time.

Well, I say ‘lighter’.  Neither the subject matter of the film nor my opinion of it are light, but at least it’s not a rant.

You know how some films have masses of amazing reviews, with stars adorning the posters and critics raving, but the film itself doesn’t live up to the hype?  Of course you do.  It happens numerous times.  Well, Starred Up is one of those movies, I’m afraid.

I’d not heard of this film prior to seeing it.  My wife had seen a trailer on television and wanted to see it.  I’ve never been a fan of ‘hooligan’ films, such as Green Street etc., and Starred Up seemed to be one, so it really didn’t appeal.  This wasn’t because there was going to be no spaceship, alien or hobbit in sight – I do like a lot of films that are not fantastical in any way.  They simply don’t do anything for me.

But, my wife fancied it and it meant we could have a ‘date night’, and I love the cinema anyway, so I said go for it.  And we went for it.

Before we left home, I watched the trailer to have an idea what I was letting myself in for.  I wouldn’t normally do this, but as this film was something new, I wanted to have a look-see.  I admit, after watching the trailer, I, too, thought it might be good.

The cinema wasn’t that full, but there was a decent amount of people there without it feeling either empty or claustrophobic.  We settled down and I was looking forward to the show.

Well.  I’m not going to go into a long commentary on the finer points of prison life or the treatment of prisoners.  I’m not going to dwell on too much really.

I didn't like it. 

The acting was ok.  Good, in fact, mostly. It just didn't seem to go very far.  Not a lot seemed to happen, apart from an extensive use if a certain four letter swear word beginning with C and ending in T.

We only became interested when the interaction between the film's main character and his father kicked off - ten minutes before the end!

It was a disappointment. I wouldn't go as far as those behind us who said the film was another four letter word beginning with S and ending, again, with T, but it wasn't nearly as good as all those stars suggested. 

Starred Up should be starred down so I'm giving it 3/10.  You might enjoy it. 

I didn't. 

As I have a two year old wanting to play doctor with me as the patient, I don't have time to add something else as I said I might. I'll be back, though - as long as she says I'm well enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment