Friday 20 February 2015

Revealing the Heart Betrayed


Recently I had the immense pleasure of helping reveal Carlie Cullen’s Heart Search: Betrayal cover.  Today, she’s allowed me to show an excerpt of the book and, reading this, I’m even more eager to read it!

Heart Search: Betrayal

Six days before the trial, I received another call from the Chief Constable and my heart sank. Each call was another reminder I just didn’t need. After the usual pleasantries had been exchanged, he became abruptly ill at ease.

“Is there something wrong?” I asked.

“Er, well it depends on your point of view I suppose. Are you sitting down?”


“Yes. What is it?”
“I received a call about an hour ago from the Governor at Holloway Prison where Bernice Dalton was in custody. Apparently she wrote a note of confession and then committed suicide. She’s dead, Remy,” he said gently.

A rush of relief blew through me like a stiff breeze through a lace curtain. I was off the hook. I wouldn’t have to go to court! I had to reign in my jubilation to answer him. “Er, I’m not really sure what to say.”

“I can understand that. I haven’t yet seen the note she left, but from what little I’ve been told, she admitted to breaking into your home and terrorising you and the children. There was some reference to her belief that if she nailed you for the disappearances of your fiancé and friend, it would advance her career. But she showed no remorse, saying she wasn’t sorry and would do the same thing again.”

“Oh. . . well, I’m glad she confessed. That’s something positive at least.”

“Yes, and it does you a favour, apart from not having to face her in court. You’ll be entitled to some form of compensation.”

“That’s not why I pressed charges, I didn’t know compensation was even a possibility,” I replied, surprised by what he said.

“It would only apply if a guilty verdict or confession was entered into the court records,” he explained. “You won’t need to attend court or anything now. Because of your statement and the doctor detailing how the trauma affected you and the children, I would be surprised if the compensation was less than five figures and possibly closer to six.”

“Wow! I honestly don’t know what to say.”

“I’ll let you know as soon as I hear anything. But just before I let you go, I want you to know how brave I think you’ve been throughout this whole ordeal. It took a great deal of courage to press charges against a police officer. Now you can really start to put it behind you and move on.”
“Okay, and thank you for everything.”

“My pleasure. Take care and I’ll speak to you soon. Goodbye Remy.”

“You too. Bye.” I ended the call and felt the smile stretch across my face. This was the best possible news and so unexpected. It was one less thing to worry about. Now I could direct all my energies to the battle which was less than three weeks away.

I was about to go downstairs and join the others when I found a slip of paper had been pushed under my door. It was folded in half and had my name on it in a fancy script. I opened it, filled with curiosity. Inside it said simply,

You owe me!
   Samir

Carlie M A Cullen was born in London. She grew up in Hertfordshire where she first discovered her love of books and writing.

She has always written in some form or another, but started to write novels in 2011. Her first book was published by Myrddin Publishing in 2012. She writes in the Fantasy/Paranormal Romance genres for New Adult and Adult.

Carlie is also a principal editor for Eagle Eye Editors.

Carlie also holds the reins of a writing group called Writebulb. They have published four anthologies so far, two for adults and two for children, all of which raise money for a local hospice.

Carlie currently lives in Essex, UK with her daughter.

You can find Carlie at lots of different places (I was wondering why that phrase was said in a weird accent in my head – then I realised it was Connor McLeod of the clan McLeod):

Twitter: @carlie2011c
BOOKS:
Heart Search, book one: Lost:http://smarturl.it/HeartSearch-Lost
Heart Search, book two: Found:http://smarturl.it/HeartSearch-Found

No comments:

Post a Comment