Monday 12 October 2015

The Lunatic and the Queen...

Good evening, Sin here.  Well, it’s evening where I am?  It quite possibly isn’t where you are.  Time is playing yo-yo with all our lives and tossing time zones about for us to scramble at like children to the outpoured guts of a piñata.  Anywho.  I had a wee visit earlier from one Freia Titland.  She’s an actress, teacher and much more.  She hung around enough for me to have a wee chat with her.  Say hi!
What’s your name?
Freia Titland… Queen of the Norse Goddesses.
A queen?  I wasn’t aware.  It’s not often we get royalty in here.  Actually, we don’t.  There’s one or two who prance around like kings under the guide of orderlies, but we won’t count them.  Where are you from?
I’m from New York… the city that never sleeps. Kinda like me.
And did they name you twice?  I’ve always wanted to visit New York.  Unfortunately, they don’t do day release and, even if they did it and I could get there and back in time, with a little sightseeing, I’d be too worried about what might happen.  I’ve only ever flipped a two pence coin.  I don’t know what might happen if I get my hands on some of that funny money you lot use.  Do you like living there?  If not, where would your favourite place to live be?  Is yes, where would you least like to live?
Yeah… I like a good crazy on the subway time and again. But, if I could live anywhere else it would definitely be Oslo, Norway.
You have Scandinavian yearnings?  That sounds cool.  I would love to visit such places, if only to see the Northern Lights.  One day, before I die, I’m going to see the sky on fire.  As you’re a film-maker, is this your ‘day job’?
Well… I’m a ‘film-maker’ but on the other side of the camera. I’m an Actress. Originally a theatre actress but I dabble in film and TV as well. My ‘day job’ is Acting Teacher and Concept artist. I own an entertainment production company called Wiseland Entertainment.
My story has been with a US based production company, but they didn’t quite get it.  You certainly seem to have a busy life!  Tell me about your latest project.
Me personally, I just finished filming an episode of Orange is the New Black. Wiseland, however, is working on a creative arts series called ‘Shakespeare’s Magical World’ where we explore the magical and ‘unnatural’ elements found throughout Willy’s body of work.
Orange is the New Black?  I didn’t expect to like that show, but I do.  It’s funny and well scripted and you do come to like and feel for the myriad characters.  One of my favourites is Crazy Eyes, for some reason…  The ‘Magical World’ series sounds interesting too.  Magical creatures abound in some of his work.  But, how do you feel about bacon?  A crazy person once said it was the food of the gods.  OK, I admit that person was myself...
Ha! I love bacon… but I’m trying not to eat animals anymore because it makes me sad. I guess that makes me the crazy person now?
Absolutely.  Bacon is like… yum!  So, giving you the chance to redeem yourself, what is your favourite film?
Persona by Ingmar Bergman. That should tell you a bit about my personality…
Very interesting choice!  It’s a classic film, though somewhat surreal.  Much like a Sunday afternoon in here.  People who do nothing but speak, chatting to those who will potentially never utter a word.  Have you always wanted to be an actress, or is it something you found yourself doing one day?
I don’t know if I ever wanted to be anything else. My mom was an Actress so ever since I was in the womb, theatre and art have been a part of my life. It wasn’t until I had to start thinking about college did I find myself going “oh, I guess this is what I’m going to do with my life.”
You had a good introduction then, with your mother being part of that world.  I wonder if you think it was inevitable.  You seem to be very happy with it, though.  Do you have so many ideas they dribble out of your nose if you don’t get them down, or do you have to hunt around the floor and the back of your sofa to find where your Muse is hiding?
Oh, I’ve got things so dark bursting from my insides that even you might run from them. The ideas are always coming, always burning, always growing… it’s the execution that drives me nuts. Expressing your vision to someone else and trying to get them on board with you is the hard part.
Erm…  Well…  The dark things which grow in me result in people dying on the toss of a coin.  You can keep your bubbling cauldron of imagination to yourself, thanks very much!  If you were in an asylum, what would your particular delusion or psychosis be?
I’d have some strange bad mother complex. I’d be very child-like, collapsing in on myself and seeking love. And, when there is no one to give it to me I would explore in murderous screams, thrashing my body about violently until I’ve tired myself out.
That’d keep the staff entertained.  They like it when the residents kick off.  It gives them something to do with their needles.  What genre(s) do you perform?
I’m really into theatre of the absurd and avant-garde stuff. I also enjoy a good political or social piece of theatre.
Sounds good.  The theatre of the absurd is what keeps us alive in here.  It’s never normal, so absurdities are our conventional.  What genres(s) do you read?
Fantasy… adventure. I’m really into Harry Potter and Tolkien.
Ah, great stories.  I’ve read lots of fantasy, loving Eddings and Brooks.  Tolkien was a master and Rowling created a host of characters and a world which millions wished they could be a part of.  That’s talent.  If these are the same, what attracts you to them.  If they’re different, why do you think that is?
I think they have overlapping elements. I mean, the whole Harry Potter series is a poetic essay on Nazi-ism, racism, classism, etc. but placed in a magical setting. I think the difference is that one is more raw and in your face and the other allows you to take a step back and be more of a bystander.
I suppose you could think of Potter in that way.  I tend not to see or look for underlying themes, like the religious undertones of The Golden Compass etc.  I just enjoy the story at face value.  But, bacon – just cooked or crispy?
Crispy. Oh god the piglets!! No!!
Oh, of course!  Piglets are cute!  Especially between a couple of rounds of bread…  Now you’re in the asylum with me, how do you aim to get out?  Do you have an escape plan?
Mommy will take care of everything sweetheart.
Mommy is off to change her vowel for a ‘u’ so she fits in over here.  She’ll be gone a while.  Best make yourself comfortable.
Freia M. Titland is a NYC based Actress and Model. Currently pursuing a M.A. in Theatre, Freia received her BFA in Acting and Religious Studies from Pace U. Freia is currently shooting a documentary that will be released later this year. To learn more, please visit www.freiatitland.com 
Twitter: @TitlandF

1 comment:

  1. Good interview. Just enough of center to make it interesting.

    ReplyDelete