Tuesday 20 August 2013

Pacific Grim...?


Guillermo Del Toro is a talented writer and amazing director. He is, there's no two ways about it.  From his earlier outings with Roald Dahl's The Witches through Mimic, Hellboy and the wonderful Pan's Labyrinth, he has repeatedly produced films full of originality and brilliance. 



But every bright light has its dark days. 

Now Pacific Rim is one film I've been waiting for. There's a good few blockbusters this year that I've looked forward to. Star Trek, Iron Man 3, The Wolverine. I've yet to see the latter but loves the first two, as you can see from my reviews on this blog.

Pacific Rim was one more. An immense film with an innovative storyline. Let down, however, by predictability. If you've seen this and live it, as 72% of you do according to IMDB, then forgive my personal opinion, but there were so many stereotypes here.

Manly names like Chuck and Hercules. The Russians were straight out of an 80s movie. The scientists were obviously kooky. The egotistical tough guy and his dad. The distant, troubled chief officer. When he gave his big speech, I expected him to tell us "Today is the day we celebrate our independence!"


I won't deny this was an epic film with impressive, action filled, set pieces. I won't deny that I even enjoyed it, but I generally do with these films, including the obvious after credits sequence. I turn my brain off and enjoy the ride.

The problem was, this ride was almost pre-cached on Google Maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment