Thursday 3 October 2013

Blog Hop Interview: Tag, You're It!


Blog Hop Interview: Tag, You’re It!

 

I always used to play Tag when I was young, though we called it ‘Tiggie’ or ‘Tig’.  Tig was a great, fun way to spend time with my friends and expend energy (which, no doubt, my mum appreciated!).  Nowadays, I wonder if it’s anywhere near as popular with children – after all, it doesn’t need a console, the internet or a stylus to play it!

 

Anywho.  The wonderful Scarlett Flame tagged me this week and I’m more than happy to revert to my childhood (given any chance) and play along.

 

For the purposes of this game, Scarlett has given me four questions to answer.  Here goes!

 

What are you working on right now?
Well, I’m trying to work on the sequel to my novel Sin.  I seriously want to get the book going and finished well before the ten years it took me to write the first.  Because my time is limited, however, and my Muse is a pain in the backside, I end up writing whatever is there in my head at the time!

 

Actually, I’m at a point in the book (still early though) where I need to speak to a policeman regarding arrest procedures.  I have a contact but have to get round to calling him (I’m currently working ten hour days and haven’t had one off for 18 so far).  As such, I’m able to do other things – rather than nothing at all.  I’ve had a children’s book on the back-burner for some time now, and I’ve been asked about that so I may well end up finishing it prior to pushing forward with Sin’s sequel.  It’s hard to say, however.  My mind hop, skips and jumps between ideas!

 

So, I’m trying to work on the sequel to Sin.  Will that do?

 

How does it differ from other works in its genre?

I think, for a start, the first person narrative is something new – or at least unusual.  I’ve had people mention that they’re not keen on first-person, but they can’t imagine the story being told any other way.  Sin isn’t just another character, either.  He’s a part of me and so many of my memories and thoughts come through him – he’s my ‘Dark Half’.

 

Also, it contains a lot of darker humour.  Sin tends to use sarcasm and unusual analogies as a shield against the things that happen to, and because of, him.  It takes the story on various turns that wouldn’t necessarily be found in books of this kind.

 

More is going to happen to Sin in this book, and I’m definitely going to have to research properly.  Investigations of supposedly random, unconnected, deaths.  Locations.  How such things are reported through the media.  I’m quite enjoying the prospect, actually.  With Sin (the first book), I could write quite easily.  I researched some, but mostly it was written as I went with the locations and situations being very familiar to me.  For Mortal Sin, I have some ideas already which will require I take my time to get the details accurate.

 

Why do you write what you do?

Good question.  Because I’m ever so slightly tapped, perhaps?

 

I’m not sure.  I’m interested in the paranormal for a start.  Also, the idea of Fate taking you by the ear and leading you along her path – with you having little or no control – is intriguing.  Sin doesn’t want people to die because of him, but he can’t help it.  Death (in my Dark Places collection) wishes he could feel as he takes his next soul, and almost doesn’t want to do it – but he must.  Such is the way.

 

But, I think it’s maybe because I’m slightly tapped.


Then there’s my children’s stories and poems.  Witches and zombies and vampire cats mixed in with a little brass man with a head made of tin.  Proof positive that I’ve never grown up (and don’t intend to).

 

Mojo Jojo

I know him

He’s a little brass man

With a head made of tin

 

He loves to dance

And can often be seen

Boogying down

With a tin of baked beans!

 

How does your writing process work?
When you find the answer to that, could you let me know?

 

Actually, I’m not sure if I have a specific process.  I sit and I write.  I’ve tried to plan my plot.  I’ve tried to characterise my characters.  Then the writing takes its own turns and all my planning is left out in the cold as the story runs away.  I don’t get too much time to put pen to paper or finger to key, with a full time job and family, so any time planning is time not writing.  As such, I’m pleased with the way it comes out.  I don’t have to push, usually.  It all normally flows.

 

If I’m working on  a story (like Mortal Sin) and I get a little stuck, I move onto something else.  I don’t fret about it or try to force the words.  If I did that I’d be staring at a blank screen.  Instead, I do a blog post or review a film.  I’ll maybe dip into one of the other works I have on the go (there’s a few).  Either way, the words are still coming.  I’m hoping practise makes perfect.  Or at least not imperfect.

 

I’m lucky to have had some very humbling comments about my writings, so perhaps the method works.  As I say to people – there’s madness in my method...

 

Thanks very much, Scarlett, for playing with me today.  I enjoyed myself.  Playtime is like dessert – there’s always room for pudding and there should always be time for play!

 

Right, now to ‘tag’ some of my other author friends.

 

Zoe Adams

 

Lynette Creswell

 

Lisa Vandiver

 

TIG, YOU’RE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment