Saturday 9 January 2016

Sherlock - Abominably Wonderful

*SPOILER ALERT - I'll try to keep them to a minimum though!*

I've always liked Sherlock Holmes.  Though I admit to not having read much of the printed material (which surprises me), I've been a fan of the television series (what's the plural of series - serieses?) for many years.  From the days of Basil Rathbone, watching it with my dad, through to Jeremy Brett, I've been an avid watcher.
So, I was delighted when the show was brought back to life by the people who make Doctor Who (another show I have watched all my life), starring this guy I'd never heard of with a funny name.  Also, it starred Martin Freeman, so it couldn't be bad.
And I watched the first episode.  And the way the texts were done on screen and the way Benedict Cumberbatch played the part and  the way the it was set 'today'...  And I was hooked.  Immediately.
Of course, now, Benedict (may I call you that) is a hot property.  From Star Trek Into Darkness, to the amazing Imitation Game (historically correct or not), to the forthcoming Doctor Strange, he's hitting the big time.  He's also helped make Sherlock a worldwide sensation.
Regarding Doctor Strange, one of my favourite Marvel characters, I read yesterday that Marvel actually altered their movie timeline to fit it around Benedict's super-busy schedule.  That's how much they wanted him in the role.



So, onto the New Year's Day special, The Abominable Bride.
It's been soooo long since the last season, I was understandably excited by its appearance.  The fact it was going to be going back to its roots, as in being set during Victorian times, only made it more anticipated.  For some reason, my Sky box didn't record it.  I noticed about half way through and was gutted.  I remembered setting it to record on my smartphone app (so convenient), so couldn't understand why it hadn't.  I checked the planner and the next showing was the next night.  Could I wait that long?  Hell no!  I checked On Demand, through Sky.  Nope, no sign.  OK.  BBC iPlayer app on the Smart TV?
YES!
Phew!  Saved.
So, I sat down to watch it.  And I was hooked.  Both Cumberbatch and Freeman, along with the rest of the cast, donned their period costumes and personas wonderfully.  I thought the story was intriguing and pretty well thought out.  I noticed the odd comment like 'data viruses' which was out of place in such a time, but then...  BAM!  They suddenly fitted right in when we saw what was really happening!  If you haven't seen it, I'll try not to give it away, and I've seen reports that some people didn't 'get' it.  Personally, I thought it was a brilliant twist.  It's been likened to Inception meets Adaptation.  I can see why.  I don't necessarily agree but I have to say I'd love to take a walk in Sherlock's Mind Palace!
Seeing an 'old friend' was cool too.  A perfectly manic and demented version of the character.  I did wonder if the scene of Sherlock's suicide after his nemesis shot himself back in - was it Season 2? - was the modern take on the classic Reichenbach Falls.  I remember Jeremy Brett facing them so long ago.  I was delighted when I saw I was mistaken.
I can't believe it's only been three short (very short) seasons of this show and it's proved to be gripping, fun and compulsive.  Apparently, it's not going to be back until 2017, which I think is FAR too long, but with so many film commitments for the two main stars, I can understand why.  The time will drag too.
At least we have Moffat's other baby to kep us going - Doctor Who.  It seems Peter Capaldi has hinted the next season might be his last.  That's a shame.  I think he's brilliant.  Any criticisms need to be aimed at the writing, as sometimes it's not been as strong as others, but when it's good, it's VERY good.  Some of the episodes, particularly towards the end of this last series, were brilliant and Capaldi showed what a great actor he really is.  I hope he hangs around a little longer.  It seems the Doctor is only in the house for a short time and he moves on though, I suppose, three years isn't exactly a short time.



Anywho-be-do.  This is Sherlock (did you see the Sherlock meets Doctor Who mashup on YouTube).  Was it good?  No.  Was it abominably good?  Definitely!


No comments:

Post a Comment