Friday 28 August 2015

Something Sinister this way comes...

Every so often, something big comes your way.  It's not necessarily a major deal to anyone else, but to you - it's a mindblower.  It can involve large amounts of money, children, marriage, a job offer you can't refuse...  There are lots of things.

Writing, for me, is something I've done all my life.  From being a child, I've scribbled down stories.  Yes, there have been times I've not written much, due to various issues and a distinct lack of time, but now it's an essential part of my life.  I even have tattoos depicting my love of the craft.

Well.  Last year, I was approached by the wonderful Wattpad to ask if I'd be willing to write an original story based on the premise of the movie The Purge.  The sequel, The Purge: Anarchy, was coming out and Universal was working with Wattpad, which gets in excess of 14 million unique visitors a month, to help promote the film.  My book, Sin, is apparently one of their top mystery/thrillers and they thought I'd be ideal to write for the film.  I wrote Mr. Composure, a story which was described as 'the best story ever' and had 'the best plot twist ever'.  To say I was honoured to have been asked is an understatement.

This was one of those big things.

Imagine my shock-surprise-elation when I received a similar request this year!

Universal were releasing Sinister 2, the follow up to the hit horror, Sinister.  They were working with Wattpad once again.  This time, however, they specifically asked for me as they were so pleased with my work on Mr. Composure!

Erm...  WOW!!

I'd seen, and enjoyed, the first film.  I liked the premise too.  I just had to come up with an idea.  With The Purge's Mr. Composure, my wife had given me the inspiration for the opening (often that's all I need to run with a story).  I could then write and see where it went.  For Sinister 2, the studio wanted an overview of the story first.  GULP!  I usually don't work like that - the story takes its own path and I run along behind, picking up the words and trying to throw them together in some semblance of order.  It meant I had to have a full idea of the story before I'd even written it.  Now, I know lots of authors work like that.  They plan each chapter with a full idea of the story arc and then flesh it out.  As I don't, this was a new experience for me.

But, I did it.  My little girl, who’s 4, told me I could keep her imaginary friend, Nathaniel (a name we’ve never used as we don’t know anyone with that name) forever...  Erm...  Yes...  Needless to say, Nathaniel seemed to fit perfectly for what I needed here.  I wrote the story.  Suffer the Little Children is that story and, apparently, it's 'genuinely terrifying', which is nice!

So, that's two big things.  Two reasons for me to put my hand to my mouth and go "WOW!"  Not just being asked to write the stories in the first place, but because of the amazing response and support I've had for them too.

So, thank you Wattpad, thank you Universal and a 'big' thank you to you guys.  It is appreciated!

Now, of course, I am working on my next story.  My eldest daughter (12 years old) gave me a bizarre and somewhat twisted idea of The Little Mermaid as a sort of challenge.  I’m almost 10,000 words in and I’m happy to say, I’m rising to that challenge.  And the Meek Shall Walk is coming along nicely, though the Little Mermaid, to my knowledge, didn’t have blood or decapitation in it...


For further reading, here’s the links to the stories above:

Suffer the Little Children:


Sin:



Mr. Composure:



And the Meek Shall Walk:



No comments:

Post a Comment